Sunday, April 6

Pinky Swears & Serenity Prayers

Over the next few weeks, I will be doing a major overhaul of my living quarters. I spoke with someone this weekend (he will be affectionately referred to as "RV") that gave me a renewed insight into how material possessions affect our well-being. No, RV is not affiliated with a cult or anything like that. He's just a fascinating man with ambition to spare, and an ability to let go and have faith that things will work out. That's a weakness of mine - letting faith prevail.

But faith is not passive, as I have often found myself thinking. Faith is not being lazy. It is not acting as though you are incapable. It is not letting others decide for you. Rather, it is confidence. It is maintaining confidence in your abilities. It is realizing that you are underestimating yourself. It is knowing that things WILL change...

When I was recovering from being anorexic and subsequently bulimic, I grew to love the Serenity Prayer. At first, I was hesitant to even speak it, simply for the fact that it was a "prayer"...but then my heart grew three sizes, and I realized what it had to offer. A framed print of it hangs in my closet, of all places, today. It's been there for 8 years, and I see it nearly everyday. Sometimes I just see it, literally. Other days I take a moment and let it sink in as I say it under my breath.

I substitute the word "Dog" for the word "God" in the opening line. Awful, I know, but saying "God" does nothing for me personally, so why bother? "Dog" isn't much better, but it fits with the flow of the verses, and it gives me a little grounding perspective. I mean, if a God, why not a Dog?

...


Where was I going with all this?

Right. Overhaul. A purging of the healthiest variety. I love a challenge...

'Stache and I just pinky swore** to manage our messes. He swears that he'll clear his storage unit...as long as I clear 2 of the upstairs rooms in my house. By the end of the month. Our combined levels of procrastination and distractibility should seal our fate. But I refuse to succumb this time! Really. I will be accountable to someone, and that makes all the difference. The last time I flirted with this concept, my BFF, Christmas, stayed in the room the whole time as I cleaned, cheering me on with phrases like, "You don't like that. You don't need that. That's a piece of crap and you know it. Platinum is smart without that toy. You will never glue/sew/display that [insert virtually any broken object here]. You will still be alive when that's in the trashcan outside. Think of all the poor, sad people that don't have any junk for their closets, you are depriving them of this joy." Such an inspiration. I need to record her voice and play it while I clean... I will post 'after' pictures when it is said and done (apparently by April 31st). My pride prevents me from posting 'before' pics. You lucky few who have been gifted with images of my pack-ratty-ness will just have to vouch for me when the time comes. Prepare to be in awe.

**Disclaimer: A pinky swear is null and void if there is no actual pinky skin contact between both parties. 'Stache, take notice.

No comments: